Have you or someone you know ever wondered: “I'm a senior, living alone. Who will check on me everyday?”
The answer is the The HowRU Program!
The HowRU Program was created to give seniors living alone, the assurance and peace of mind of a daily safety call. It is available to all seniors, over age 50, nationwide and is free of charge, providing peace of mind to seniors and their families.
“After becoming a widow, I was afraid to live on my own. What if I fall? Who would find me? The HowRU phone call every morning is like a friend calling to ask, “How are you today? Are you OK?” They daily call bring a smile to my face and a sense of joy to my life.”
– Carol, Solera at Anthem
“When I heard about this program, my first thought was that I really didn’t need it because my family lives here in Henderson and we talk on the phone every day. But my daughters agreed that it would give them greater peace of mind to know I was being monitored every morning. Now, after signing up, I think so too. As a single resident, HowRU is a valuable service for my family and me.”
– Kay, Sun City Anthem
Signing up for HowRU™ is easy.
HOWRU™ VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Volunteers are needed for the phone squad. On a rotating basis, team members will have a two-week assignment to monitor the FAS Hotline/HowRU™ message recorder to gather messages for the HowRU™ Program. These messages will be shared with the HowRU™ Coordinator. Limited computer skills are needed and training will be provided. Join our team of volunteers! Click above on the VOLUNTEER NOW box! There is no better way to pay it forward than to help neighbors and friends in time of need.
HOW IT WORKS
How does the HowRU™ program work?
This program works through a call sequence that goes as follows:
- A computer generated telephone call is made to the Subscriber each day at their designated time.
- Answer the phone, say “Hello”, and listen to the entire message. Wait for goodbye. If you are okay, press 1, this will end the call.
- If the Subscriber does not answer, a second call is made 15 minutes later.
- If that call is not answered, a call is made to the first emergency contact person for follow up. That person will need to press 1 to end the call.
- If the first emergency contact does not answer then a call is made to the second emergency contact for follow up. That person will also need to press 1 to end the call.
- If that person does not answer then a call and email is sent to the Foundation Assisting Seniors coordinator and they make a wellness call to the Subscriber. If no answer, then calls are placed to each of the emergency contacts, if necessary. If no one responds a call may be made to 311 for follow up.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the cost of the HowRU™ program?
There is absolutely no cost for the HowRU™ program. The Foundation Assisting Seniors is able to offer this service to seniors for free due to donations, sponsorships and grants.
Who can use the HowRU™ program? The program is available to anyone over the age of 50 nationwide. Even if you’re not a user, you can register any senior, including your parents or grandparents.
Why should I choose HowRU™ over other popular medical alert systems?
Though you cannot put a price on personal safety, some medical alert systems can cost more than $100 to set up with an additional $30 monthly fee for the service. HowRU™ provides the same peace of mind at no cost to the subscribers.
How can someone get into the property in case of an emergency? Entry into your home is very important if the 911 responders are called to check on you. You have two options to avoid them breaking down your door.
- Leave a key with a neighbor, and let us know whom that person is.
- Purchase a Knox Box from the fire department. Only they will have access to the Box.
Can I suspend my services if I’m out of town?
Yes, you have the flexibility to change or suspend your services by calling (725) 244-4200 and choosing option 1.
How do I sign up?
To set up HowRU™ today, call (725) 244-4200 or fill out the form below.